7 July 2013

FRANCE - HOLIDAY 2013 (7 July)

Settled into our Gite at last, I woke up to a sore head...I can only put this down to the lack of sleep from the previous few days...travelling, driving on other side of road, etc. Nothing to do with the wine.

Anyway, we woke up to a glorious sunny day. We planned to stay at the Gite today and soak up some rays.

Kids were in the pool early on and I slumbered round with a drink, phone (for music) and a good book. I had picked up a biography of Graham Chapman of Monty Python fame a couple of weeks earlier. so thought it would make interesting holiday reading.

I was soon lying on a lounger in the lovely pool garden, birds singing. a gentle breeze and easily 30 degrees +  today. Sipping cold drings and taking it easy while listening to Jodie and Lucie splashing around in the Pool.

Zoe and I sat for a while chatting about music and we were soon joined by Lucie, Jodie and Angela.

By two o'clock thoughts were turning to lunch, so Zoe and me went off and made a lovely salad consisting of ham, juicy tomatoes, cucumber, french cheese and a traditional baguette.

Soon, I rejoined the book and we all took in more rays  on what was proving to be a lazy hazy day

Thoughts soon turned to dinner and the plan was for pasta salad, but we had mistook gnocci and had bought some tiny potatoes instead, therefore our pasta salad became a potato salad.

The potatoes were lightly boiled and then bathed in melted butter and garlic for 1 minute with some fresh thyme from the garden adding an extra special twist....mmmmm.

This was all added to a salad of peppers, tomato, spring onion, brie, mustard and lettuce with some magnificent local bread and washed down with a lovely cool drink. We had dinner out in the sunnt=y back garden, surrounded by roses in full bloom...magnificent.

Clearing all away quickly, I took the advantage of borrowing a bike from the Gite owner and cycled into the countryside. It was tres formidable. I cycled through field of vines and barley to the vollage of Puy de Notre Dame. We had seen it the evening before in the distance when out walking.

Puy de Notre Dame was a small olde-world place with crumbling buildings but amazingly neat and tidy streets. The big church walls were quite crumbly when I touched them. I think they consisted of limestone.
Church at Puy de Notre Dame

Some information on the region

Street view of the church
After circling and touring the streets on the bike - time to return. Soon I was pedaling out of the small village and back out amongst the vines and fields of the Loire region. Cycling through legions of flys I stoppes alongside a quiet lane to watch the sun as it dipped below a small grove of trees in the distance. It was a lovely sight and it was unexpectedly nice to be on my own, nothing but evening bird song and a gentle breeze as the Sun decended into the grove, casting its orange/gold glow in my direction.

The winding roads of The Loire

More quiet country roads

Sunset

Sunset behind the trees

I was soon cycling again and reached the gite in no-time. I retired with a well deserved cold beer and my feet up on the couch in front of the TV. What a nice way to round off another glorious day.



No comments:

Post a Comment